Wherein the geeks, with a special guest, discuss endings. Due to the subject matter, the whole episode requires a SPOILER WARNING. Also, this episode contains some PG-13 language.
This episode, and the show notes, are a lot longer than usual. Consider it a double episode due to being our finale.
Voicemail Line: 336-422-7553 or 336-42-ARKLE
Arkleites Facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/383745168368/
Arkle Studios: silver-gateway.com/etc/arklestudios
Intro/Outro Music: "Sun In The Eyes" by Orchestra Macaroon: http://www.macaroonmusic.com/breakfast_in_balquhidder/
Song: "It’s the End of the ‘Verse As We Know It" from Geek Mythology by Eben Brooks, music.ebenbrooks.com
Segment Related Links:
- The End of Evangelion
- Why we say “Spoilers” that way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQTp8Ozj1JQ (or a longer version)
- Scalzi Standard (spoiler statute of limitations)
- Myst (and the video of the “good” ending — the burned shelves just before the credits are where the other two books were)
- Quantum Leap series finale
- Newhart series finale
- J. Michael Straczynski on Babylon 5‘s last season(s): “From jms re: yr 4/5“
- The Babylon Podcast
- Babylon 5 episode list and Sleeping in Light
- Mira Furlan’s still working 🙂 Mira Furlan on IMDB
- Star Trek: The Next Generation series finale: All Good Things…
- "To Boldly Flee, part 1"
- Stargate SG-1 series finale: Unending
- Avengers: Clark Gregg confirmed for S.H.I.E.L.D. series
- Comparison of box office and reviews the three Matrix films: “[The Matrix Revolutions]’ earnings dropped 66% during the second week after its release to theaters.”
- "Wing Commander" reception and "Wing Commander" on Metacritic
- Joker mentioning the Russian National Anthem
- From dragonage.wikia.com entry on DA2 bugs: “(XBOX) There is a bug during the Act 3 main quest The Last Straw were Orsino’s robe and Meredith’s armor turns white when they meet in the Gallows. This glitch can continue and cause large areas of the environment to lack color and texture for the remainder of the game.” (a bug on one system that isn’t always there is a lot more excusable)
- Game Breaking Friendship Bugs
- Baldur’s Gate – Viconia (Romance) Ending (the last 30 seconds or so is just music)
- The January Man
- Re: Personal Reapers, I didn’t find anyone who’s filked “Personal Jesus” for Mass Effect, but for villains in general I recommend Eben Brooks’ "Personal Archvillain"
- “Casey Hudson On Finishing Mass Effect 3, DLC Plans,” in response to “Is that same type of complexity built into the ending of Mass Effect 3?”
“Yeah, and I’d say much more so, because we have the ability to build the endings out in a way that we don’t have to worry about eventually tying them back together somewhere. This story arc is coming to an end with this game. That means the endings can be a lot more different. At this point we’re taking into account so many decisions that you’ve made as a player and reflecting a lot of that stuff. It’s not even in any way like the traditional game endings, where you can say how many endings there are or whether you got ending A, B, or C.
It’s more like there are some really obvious things that are different and then lots and lots of smaller things, lots of things about who lives and who dies, civilizations that rose and fell, all the way down to individual characters. That becomes the state of where you left your galaxy. The endings have a lot more sophistication and variety in them.”
- Mass Effect 3 – Ending Movie Comparison – All the Colors
- Angry Joe Show, "Top 10 Reasons We Hate Mass Effect 3’s Ending" (includes Shep and Garrus having a beer, behind a spoiler tag) (YouTube.com version, if the video on angryjoeshow doesn’t work)
- Reaper Shepard art (If you know of a link that credits the origial artist, please let us know.)
- Explanation of the side comment about Susan and life choices
- Mass Effect, Tolkien, and Your Bullsh*t Artistic Process
- The Spoony Experiment: Ultima Retrospective
- Marauder Shields on knowyourmeme.com
- Casey Hudson on not wanting to be too "video gamey"
- Ocarina of Time on MetaCritic: why we called it the "Stairway to Heaven" of video games
- The infamous Spaceworld trailer
- As mentioned, if you want to see Roland’s fanfic you can contact us for the, um, link :-).
- The Legend of Zelda Timeline Revealed
- Republic of Molossia
- In deference to Roland, there are no links to the Legend of Zelda cartoon :-).
- Ma-Ti on the Captain Planet wikia
- Note: No insult was meant by “little web shows.” Some of them are very successful, and rightfully so. I was thinking in terms of the larger market, where even the most successful web programming is still niche by comparison. And if you can make a living from it, it’s not “little.” 🙂
- Darksiders II plug
- Saints Row 4
TV Tropes Mentioned:
- Crowning Moment Of Awesome
- Crowning Moment Of Heartwarming
- Fridge Logic
- Samus Is a Girl and It Was His Sled
- No Indoor Voice
- Large Ham
- Stuffed into the Fridge
- What Kind of Lame Power Is Heart, Anyway?
- Heart Is an Awesome Power
- Butt Monkey
- Dying Moment Of Awesome
Extra: The inspiration for this episode’s title: Mass Effect 3 Soundtrack — An End Once and For All
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.