I was going to do two posts, one for ceremony music and one for reception music, but since I’m not including lots of links or embedded videos I’ve decided to do them both in one post. Some of these pieces have particular significance to one or both of us, but I’ll get into those in the ceremony/reception posts.
The music for the prelude and ceremony will be “played” (this whole affair is role-play, after all *g*) by a friend who’s a harpist. We’ve chosen a few of the songs to be included in the prelude, and I’ve made a YouTube playlist of them that I’ll link to when we post the ceremony. These are:
- Zelda’s Theme (Koji Kondo)
- Ave Maria (Schubert)
- Ten Minutes Ago (Rodgers & Hammerstein’s Cinderella)
- Once Upon a Dream (aka the Sleeping Beauty Waltz, Tchaikovsky)
- Go the Distance (Alan Menken, Hercules)
- Nothing Else Matters (Metallica)
It’s amazing how pretty some heavy metal songs can be on the harp :-).
For the seating of the mothers, we’ve chosen “The Wedding Song (There Is Love)” by Noel Paul Stookey.
While the previous music post said we were using “Mairi’s Wedding” for the processional, we’ve decided to use “All I Ask of You” from The Phantom of the Opera instead and have “Mairi’s Wedding” be the recessional.
One tune we’d like to avoid is Pachelbel’s “Canon in D Major” — too many people (including us!) would be reminded of this rant :-).
I’ll leave it to our harpist to say what else he might play. I’m also leaving the postlude to him, because we want him to have time to pack up and join us for the reception as a guest.
The reception cruise includes a DJ, so most of the evening’s music will be left to him/her. That said, we’ve picked a few songs we’d like to hear in addition to those to go with particular parts of the proceedings. As with the ceremony music, I’ll link to a YouTube playlist in the post for the reception.
- Entrance of the wedding party: Celebration (Kool & The Gang)
- First Dance: At The Beginning (Donna Lewis and Richard Marx, Anastasia)
- Cake cutting: Eat It (Weird Al Yankovic)
- Bouquet and garter tosses: Title Theme, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker
- Last Dance: (I’ve Had) The Time of My Life (Bill Medley & Jennifer Warnes, Dirty Dancing)
- Departure: … we’ll tell you this one later :-)
Other songs on the “We’d like to hear” list:
- After All These Years (Journey)
- All You Need Is Love (Beatles)
- Angel (Aerosmith)
- As Time Goes By (Carly Simon)
- Crazy Little Thing Called Love (Queen)
- Fly Me To The Moon (Julie London)
- In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel)
- Princes of the Universe (Queen)
- Sunshine Superman (Donovan)
- Walking On Sunshine (Katrina and The Waves)
Other instructions to the DJ:
- On the “do not play” list: Rap, hip-hop, country/western, Chicken Dance (or other stupid dances)… and Pachelbel’s Canon ;-)
- OK in general: Big band/swing, classic rock
- Iffy (case-by-case): Post-90s pop music
10:41am – (background) Gosteg Of Master David, Worlds of the Welsh Harp
11:01am – (background) Lovers’ Glance on Minstrel Harp
11:30am – (background) Teddy Bear’s Picnic (harp arrangement)
11:55am – (background) "Magus" (The Wizard)